We are currently hiring for a sewing and repair technician
Are you interested in working in the Outdoor Industry? Is it important to be part of a positive cultural shift towards reducing our carbon footprint and keeping textiles out of the landfill? Do you like working with your hands and problem solving but don’t like repetitive production work? Do you have an eye for quality and enjoy a casual yet fast paced work environment? Are you interested in developing a high skill that pays a family wage and being part of a long-term startup team?
PROBLEM WE ARE SOLVING:
Rugged Thread is an integral part of the outdoor industry ensuring the story of our high-quality outdoor clothing and gear does not contribute to the 16 million tons of textile waste that end in a landfill every year in the U.S. because of a broken zipper, broken buckle, worn Velcro, a rip or a burn. We repair high performance outdoor soft-goods like Gore-Tex-type jackets and pants, down jackets, bags and backpacks, tents, sleeping bags and tons of zipper repair and replacement. To date, we have kept 30,000 pounds of textiles out of our landfills and from piling up as clutter in the back of closets.
Experienced lead sewing technician
We want to hear from you if you are interested in working with us regardless of your sewing experience if you are committed to developing high quality outdoor industry sewing skills and product knowledge as a career path, earning a family wage, being part of our long-term team and living in Central Oregon.
• Repair technicians are valuable and creative problem solvers, they are the backbone of our service and product
• Responsible for evaluating damaged items, proposing repair options and understanding cost estimates, deconstructing items for repair, preparing repair materials, completing technical repairs, tracking repair time and materials, and performing quality inspections.
• Work on industrial sewing equipment: walking needle, walking foot, serger, and cylinder bed.
• Some of your projects will include: technical sewing on outerwear, tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, motorcycle bags, seam (heat) taping, zipper repair and replacement
• Work on location in Bend, OR.
• We have been in business since 2011, we will teach these skills including quality and efficiency standards
• Have a fun and be engaged
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Industrial sewing machine operation experience
• Production sewing and knowledge in garment construction, bag and pack construction, sample sewing
• Have a background in outdoor activities such as skiing, camping, climbing, backpacking, fishing, hunting, bike riding, horseback riding, motorcycling or anything which requires the use and understanding of technical outdoor clothing and gear use
• Ability to responsibly use work related equipment and materials
• Professional communication skills — both written, verbal and listening. Must be able to express and exchange ideas and information, give and receive instructions accurately, loudly and quickly
• Attention to detail and high quality
• Ability to plan and organize; good time management skills
• Ability to follow & retain information (e.g., policies, procedures) or find it as needed
• Problem solving ability
• Ability to operate and remain calm under pressure of deadlines
• Cooperative person
• Team oriented
• Patient disposition
• Able to work independently
• Ability to function in fast-paced environment
• Hand dexterity and strength
• Ability to match color
• Good vision for detailed work including threading needles and deconstruction without damaging the item that is being repaired
• Lift and carry up to 45 pounds on occasion
WHAT YOU GET:
Wage: $14/hour starting wage, $15/hour after probation, $17+/hour at proficiency
Workload: 30-40 hours per week Monday-Friday or Tuesday-Saturday
Benefits: Paid time off after 1 year of employment, flexible work schedule, company shares after 5 years of employment and other benefits as we hit projected growth and revenue goals. Access to trails out the front door for running, mountain and road biking, and five Mt. Bachelor day passes per year after 9 months of employment. Onsite yoga and meditation space, kitchen and filtered water with 2-minute walk to the city bus line, and 7 min walk to junior college campus. We also offer access to temporary housing if you relocate to Bend.
HOW TO APPLY:
Reply with a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com